It seems like the end of an era is near as Conan the Barbarian leaves Marvel Comics once again, with the license presumably going to the owners of Conan Properties. Marvel began publishing Conan comics in the 70s, although that license expired in the 90s. Marvel took over the Conan comics license, with new releases beginning in 2019.
Now it looks like Marvel’s Conan license is expiring again – though the publisher is phrasing the announcement in somewhat vague terms.
(opens in a new tab)
“In July, Jason Aaron’s epic King Conan #6 (opens in a new tab) will mark the end of Marvel Comics’ new adventures in the Hyborian era,” reads Marvel’s announcement, which does not expressly state that Marvel’s license to publish new comics about the character expires, but it does. ‘The simplest interpretation of the Marvel press release.
King Conan # 6 was initially released in May, but will now be on sale on July 6. Technically, that means King Conan #6 won’t be Conan’s last appearance in Marvel Comics after all (assuming there’s no more lineup). changes), such as Savage Avengers #3 from July 13 (opens in a new tab) will include Conan in its distribution in accordance with the issue of the number.
(opens in a new tab)
Interestingly, Marvel’s announcement doesn’t mention the next Savage Avengers volume, which kicks off with a new Savage Avengers #1. (opens in a new tab) May 18. Conan plays a central role in the series as he did in his last volume. However, Newsarama has learned that Conan will still have a role in Savage Avengers, and Marvel plans to provide more information about that series and Conan’s role in it in the coming days.
Beyond Conan’s final scheduled appearances in Marvel Comics New Stories, the publisher still has a few reprint volumes of its classic ’70s Conan the Barbarian comics slated for release through December.
Here is the list of exchanges announced, with the dates of exit if necessary:
- Conan the Barbarian Epic Collection: The Original Marvel Years Vol. 6 – Revenge at Asgalun TPB (September 2022)
- Conan the Barbarian: The Original Omnibus of the Marvel Years Vol. 8 HC (Art Adams cover)
- Conan the Barbarian: The Original Omnibus of the Marvel Years Vol. 8 HC (Geoff Isherwood cover)
- Conan the King: The Original Omnibus from Marvel Years Vol. 1 HC (cover of John Buscema)
- King Conan TPB King Conan Chronicles Epic Collection: Ghosts and Phoenix TPB
- Conan the Barbarian: The Original Omnibus of the Marvel Years Vol. 9 HC (cover by Michael Higgins)
- Conan the Barbarian: The Original Omnibus of the Marvel Years Vol. 10 HC (cover by Todd McFarlane – December 2022)
Yes, that’s right – the Toddfather himself crowns what appears to be the final release in Marvel’s series of classic Conan reprints.
Stay tuned to Newsarama for more as this story develops.
Whatever the continuation of the Avengers Savage, the Avengers franchise itself will be taken in AXIS: Judgment Day’s August and September links.